Saturday, October 11, 2014

10-9-14 A.D. - My City, Our People

On October 9th of this year, I woke up to a very intense thunderstorm. Pissed off at the fact that it was 3 am and I had just fallen asleep around 2... with work in the morning at 7, I rolled over to grab my phone and tweet my frustrations.

Other followers were up and angry like me, only their frustrations were due to something else: Another black body was gone.

16 guns shots hit an unarmed 18 year old by an off-duty St.Louis police officer. 
Over assumptions, a life is gone and I literally cannot. 

I don't know if I can spare anymore room in my mind to process the fact that another life is gone. 

The little girl in me wants to shout, "WHY?! What did we do?!"

But it's plain and simple to know that it has never taken much of anything at all for our murders to be justified. 

Just the day before, I participated in a demonstration at the University of Missouri where we raised awareness of the unlawful killings of black and brown bodies. By "dying" in the middle of the campus we told the stories of the slain.

On that day I felt hopeful. I felt inspired. 

Just the day before.

And then this: another hate crime that will be defended and justified.

We keep fighting, they keep killing. 

We are dying.

Will we ever prosper? Will we ever rest? 

I think the unanswered questions are the most haunting part of this whole thing. We just have to keep fighting, pushing, and restlessly saving our own lives. This isn't just St. Louis. This is the world. And until we get our justice, we MUST refuse to let the oppressor live in prosperity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment