Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I was recently told I was a know it all

So I was told by someone I really care about that I was a know it all. And because of that , it was difficult for them to open up to me.
                                       
That cut me deep. So deep, actually. Because it was always something I hoped I'd never be. Especially because I've always been so hard on myself, feeling like I didn't know enough.

What's so crazy about this is that I HATE know it all's...and turns out that I am one.

Damn.

See I've always been really insecure about a lot as far as intellect was concerned. It didn't start that way of course. When I was younger, I always had a thirst for knowledge. Reading,writing, music, black history , women's history. .. I was always very passionate about knowing.                  

Once it was acknowledged by others , I started to take a certain amount of pride in what I did know. realizing that what I did for fun, others loathed. I was different.  coming up in a place where seeking out your identity was necessary, I knew who I was.

But then I met other smart girls... And I became insecure. Feeling as though now it wasn't just enough to know I was smart but everyone had to know. I just didn't want to lose my thing..

And now I'm a know it all.

Ugh I just hate that ... It was never my intention. But this is why insecurity is a horrible ,horrible thing. I turned a fear into a reality.

And now I want to undo this.

But how do you do so when you want to share what you know?? How do you educate without making others feel as though they are inferior because they didn't know?

Maybe it starts with my need of validity as far as my intellect is concerned. I lost my slice if humble pie and now I need to get back in the kitchen to whip up another batch.

So.. yeah...  that's what I'm working on .

7 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I can definitely relate to this. Did you ask the person who made the comment why they felt that way? Sometimes when we hear the things we'd least expect from the people we love the most, we start to question things about ourselves that we once knew/felt to be true. Why is that?

    Your love for seeking knowledge, continuing to feed your spirit with information that'll better you as a person, as a woman, is admirable

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, all that I did was simply apologize that I made the person feel that way. Never asking for them to say what I did exactly. I guess I wanted to avoid the discussion due to ny now paranoia of hoping he wont think im challenging him, further proving his "know it all" theory true.

    And youre right, because now all I do is hioe whatever I say doesnt sound snobbish... making me not want to say anything at all. I will fight that feeling though, just need to learn how to balance it all.

    Thank you so much for reading! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said the keyword! BALANCE. That's what life's all about. Don't shelter yourself or your truths Wildflower. Keep on blooming & learning...

    Thanks for sharing.
    xx - E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boyfriend is a know-it-all. I hate talking to him about anything. It doesn't matter the topic, he always has some damn advice. Even when I'm just venting and expressing myself.

    After awhile I started to realize that what I consider to be a know-it-all moment is sometimes him offering genuine advice. Even then I don't want to hear it. So how we deal with it is, if I ask, he gives it. But if I'm just venting he listens. If he feels the need to comment. He ask, "Do you want my advice. "

    It's slowly buy surely working. ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that! Maybe it's me misunderstanding. When friends vent, I always assume it meant they wanted my advice. But thats obviously not the case! Thank you! Im glad you guys are working that out ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a case of insecurity on their end. The one thing I valued most about our friendship was the fact that you would listen. It's hard to find selfless people now days. Don't let those words change you, let them challenge you. Do I know it all? No but I serve the author of life who does. He holds the answers to your current situation, the answers to the way you've been feeling, and the key to your future. No matter how much their opinion may matter to you, nothing will outweigh Gods opinion of you.

    ReplyDelete