Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mirrors

So I remember reading a blog post that my aunt did a few years ago. At the time, she was a newlywed and was just getting out of the infatuation phase of marriage. In this blog, she was discussing things that her husband would do that would frustrate her, because in most areas they were so different.
The example she used was one day, he went grocery shopping for the house. My aunt was, and has always been, very particular about what she wanted. On the grocery list, she didn't just put ketchup, but the brand as well. Uncle Matt came home with the store brand version of the ketchup my aunt asked for. In the blog, she expressed how much that really grinded her gears.
Uncle Matt thought he was being helpful.. and shopping smart. Out of consideration, he figured they'd be saving money, so she'd be more happy with that. Well, she wasn't. hehe.
She wrote in her blog that though she was upset, she had to take a step back and realize that she married this man not because he did things just like her, but because he was her mirror. He showed her a different way of seeing things that she couldn't see without him in front of her.
So that's what I want to elaborate on. Mirrors.
When considering a significant other, I always found myself wanting to be with someone just like me. I thought that that's what a mirror meant:you know, that you could see your equal.
Maybe it's just me but before I look in the mirror, I usually have a good sense of what I probably look like, what needs to be fixed, and what I shouldn't bother fixing because it's perfectly fine as is. Depending on the situation and day, I could be totally off! Thinking I look awesome, but my eyeliner is smudged. Or thinking I need to fix my hair, but it was actually looking great the entire time.
We go to mirrors for correction. To see the things in us that we need to change or keep exactly the same. A mirror symbolizes something constructive. And that's exactly what it means to find someone you call your mirror. They wont always show you what you want to see, but whenever they show you, it's with the intent of helping you change for the positive. And on the days where you feel you may not feel to awesome, they're there to remind you just how great you are.
That's such a beautiful thing.
For the life of me I couldnt figure out why past guys didn't really do it for me. I felt no growth as an individual. When I thought about it, it was because I was choosing males I was so similar to. Which is fun at first, but it starts to get boring. No one's changing. It wasn't until recently that I took on a new challenge of trying different. Someone who shows me new things I wouldn't have considered whether it be as simple as a type of music, or as complex as becoming more vulnerable and expressing myself more.
At times, I freak out. I get scared at what I see. But I came to realize that it's a growing process and with growth comes the growing pains.
Mirrors are for any relationship. not just intimate ones. Look at your friends/family, I'm sure you can think of some mirrors; People you couldn't have grown without knowing. People that show you the blemishes of who you are. Keep those people around. And be the best mirror you can be for someone else.
That's all. :)

1 comment: